An uncommon, genetic, autosomal recessive condition called galactose malabsorption (CGGM) typically manifests in infants. Malnutrition, hyperosmolar dehydration, and severe diarrhea are symptoms of CGGM. It often poses a threat to life and does not respond to standard therapy.
Cause of glucose-galactose malabsorption (GGM).
- The inability of the small intestine to absorb and utilize glucose and galactose is what causes it (simple sugars).
- The molecular structures of glucose and galactose are extremely similar. Both sugars are transported into the intestines by the same protein.
- The body uses the simple sugars that are absorbed in the intestines.
- This enzyme functions correctly thanks to the GGM gene.
- The enzyme cannot transport the simple sugars into the small intestines when this gene is altered (mutated), leading to GGM.
Cure or medication for glucose-galactose malabsorption (GGM).
- Despite the fact that there is currently no treatment for GGM, patients can manage their symptoms (diarrhea) by cutting out lactose, sucrose, and glucose from their diets.
- Avoiding milk, milk products, and foods containing glucose and galactose is part of the treatment.
- Diets low in galactose and glucose must be followed by patients. Galactose and glucose can both be swapped out for fructose, a different simple sugar.
- Some people might eventually be able to include certain foods back into their diets, but others might have to adhere to these limits for the rest of their lives.
- Patients with GGM are advised to consult a nutritionist who is experienced with the condition about a low- or glucose-galactose-free diet and to determine whether a slow reintroduction is tolerable.
Bloating,Nausea,Diarrhea,Stomach pains,Rumbling sounds coming from the intestines,Frequent urination
L-carnitine,Avoiding milk, milk products, and foods containing glucose and galactose is part of the treatment
Abdominal pain,Unpredictable bowel movements,Variation in stool consistency,Bloating,Passing gas (flatulence),Nausea,Headache,Fatigue,Depression,Anxiety,Difficulty concentrating